Below is a collection of Indian quirks; things only us Indians do (As far as I know). Some are funny, some intriguing, some pure evil.
- Calling food with meat “non-veg“. This is strange because we don’t call poor people “non-rich” or dry stuff “non-wet”.
- Calling USB drives as “Pen Drives”. Come on, it doesn’t even look like a Pen.
- Using terms “lakh” and “crore” officially to refer to 100,000 or 10,000,000.
- Men spitting in the urinal while peeing.
- Disrespecting all animals, except one.
- Asking for “extra gravy” and “extra pieces” when getting food packed from restaurant. Later complaining that the quantity has gone down since last time.
- People calling cousins “brothers” & “sisters”.
- Having “Pure veg” restaurants.
- Calling unrelated people “uncles” & “aunties”.
- Hating on China & the Chinese while being surrounded by & using cheap Chinese products.
- Stock trading at work.
- Not considering Onions and Garlic as vegetarian food.
- Having the cheapest Telecom service in the world and still complaining/cribbing about bills.
- Preferring to ask random strangers for directions than using GPS on the phone.
- Children staying with their parents and/or siblings even after growing up and getting married.
- Harassing Indians in the service industry, like waiters, flight attendants etc.
- Demanding to swap seats in trains and airplanes.
- The swear word to insult sisters (Behenchod) is more popular than the swear words to insult mothers (Machod, Madarchod). Maybe because Patriarchal Indian men are more protective of their sisters.
- Considering sex a taboo while being the birthplace of Kama Sutra & having the second largest population in the world.
- Worshipping movie stars.
Some Indian quirks that I have also experienced to some extent with other nationalities
- Worshipping white men and salivating for white women (Most asians)
- People’s existence being dependent on WhatsApp (Or some similar messaging app)
- Obsession with a male heir (Most asians)
- Huge focus on studies and forcing children to become Doctors or Engineers (Most asians)
- Obsession with leaving the country for a Caucasian country (Many Asians)
- Parents being dependent on their children when they get old (Many Asians)
- Forced arranged marriages.
- Obsession with having fair skin (Many Asians)
5 thoughts on “Indian Quirks”
Awesome article, really enjoyed reading it..
Thank you Sood sahab.
Loved the tags 👍🏼
Also good to be in the esteemed company of Sood Saheb.
Thanks. Sood saheb is the best.