Basically, this app is a notification spam machine. Below is a screenshot of notifications born from 1 ride I took. Let’s analyse them starting from the first one at the bottom.
- The first notification is about the money being on hold. Really why would I care?
- The second notification is about the driver being nearby. Sure, this is useful, but ideally, it should be withdrawn once the trip starts. Apps have the capability to withdraw notifications in iOS.
- The third one is undeniably spam.
- Oka, the fourth one is about money being charged and useful.
- The fifth one is also spam. I don’t want to know with each ride how many points I earned. If I want to know, I can check the app.
Speaking of the app, there’s a notifications section in it, which is 100% spam.
Unfortunately, unlike the other services, there’s no way to stay in Thailand and not use Grab. You need it to order food , order stuff from different stores (Okay, you can use FoodPanda for these 2 things, too) and get around. There’s no ride hailing company in Thailand that even comes close to Grab.
Just debating whether to turn off notifications altogether from the app.