The fateful day is here. After almost 13 years in this city, the time has come to say goodbye and move on.
I got married while living here, we had our kid here, bought our own apartment here; till a few months ago, I thought I would live here forever. However, the deteriorating air quality year-on-year and the complete apathy of the government decided otherwise.
For years, I watched the air quality go worse, for years I saw people turn a blind eye to it and eventually it became clear that this problem won’t be solved in the near future (or maybe ever).
I will miss
- Spending my weekend at Ambience mall, perhaps my favourite place in the city. I still remember the first time I went there to buy formal shoes for my first job here (the job didn’t involve formal wear).
- Having breakfast at McDonalds while soaking the winter sun at MGF metropolitan mall.
- The (few) friends I had here and drinking beer with them at one of the many craft breweries.
- The wide highways, flyovers and underpasses and sparse traffic.
- The ease of getting things done and solving problems by throwing money at them.
Apps and online services for literally everything.
- Extremely fast same-day and next-day Amazon delivery.
I will not miss
- The horrid air quality between November and January every year and the grey/brown skies.
- The constant and relentless pitch of hindutva in every aspect of your life.
- Kids as young as 12 driving cars with impunity.
- People who cut in queue (in person or in their cars).
- The name “Gurugram”.