The fateful day is here. After almost 13 years in this city, the time has come to say goodbye and move on.
I got married while living here, we had our kid here, bought our own apartment here; till a few months ago, I thought I would live here forever. However, the deteriorating air quality year-on-year and the complete apathy of the government decided otherwise.
For years, I watched the air quality go worse, for years I saw people turn a blind eye to it and eventually it became clear that this problem won’t be solved in the near future (or maybe ever).
I will miss
- Spending my weekend at Ambience mall, perhaps my favourite place in the city. I still remember the first time I went there to buy formal shoes for my first job here (the job didn’t involve formal wear).
- Having breakfast at McDonalds while soaking the winter sun at MGF metropolitan mall.
- The (few) friends I had here and drinking beer with them at one of the many craft breweries.
- The wide highways, flyovers and underpasses and sparse traffic.
- The ease of getting things done and solving problems by throwing money at them.
Apps and online services for literally everything.
- Extremely fast same-day and next-day Amazon delivery.
I will not miss
- The horrid air quality between November and January every year and the grey/brown skies.
- The constant and relentless pitch of hindutva in every aspect of your life.
- Kids as young as 12 driving cars with impunity.
- People who cut in queue (in person or in their cars).
- The name “Gurugram”.
10 thoughts on “Goodbye, Gurgaon”
hey, of late i have started going to sec29 for craft beer. But i didnt like them one bit.i liked beer @howzatt but nothing comes close to that. which brewery do u recomend?
Why not Howzzat if you like that? I like Vapour Bar exchange and Open Tap.
both were closed. I will check Open Tap.
I am not that picky about food and beverage as you are. I have seldom come across bad beer. Your mileage may vary.
I went Bar hopping(started with Walking street, Factory by Sutra and Ada) in search of good beer. But none were upto the mark.
Lol your mark is generally higher than most people; I know from experience 😉
What about your abstinence from alcohol that you told me 6 months ago when I asked you to go with me for some beers?
yeah dude…i just felt like i was missing out on something. But the brewries were big lead down. Next time if you are in Gurgaon we’ll definetly catch up on some good brew.