Contrary to popular belief, I don’t find Calcutta the city of joy.. Following are the reasons why:-
- The whole city is depressing. As soon as I set foot in the city, a feeling of depression fills me.
- The climate sucks. It’s 90% or more humidity 12 months of the year. You sweat almost constantly as long as you are out of an Air-Conditioned room.
- City is overcrowded. Too many people and too less space. Poverty is among the highest in India. Again, gives a feeling of depression.
- People have a myth that living is cheap in Calcutta. Wake up guys, that was long time ago. A packet of branded detergent costs the same in Calcutta as in Delhi.
- People have named it Kolkata. Seriously this name sucks even more than the last one.
- Strikes almost everyday. People here just don’t want to work. And no, these strikes are not for serious issues. A rule for registering your pet at the municipal office does not call for 2 days of strikes, burning of banners and breaking of shop windows.
- People here have a belief that this is the best city in India when most of them haven’t even set foot outside West Bengal.
- Too many intellectuals. People here like to sit at a coffe shop, and talk away for hours deciding on how to improve the country. It would be more productive if they worked somewhere for that much time.
- Think people from other places are idiots.
- Roads are too crowded. No traffic discipline. To use the public transport system, you have to either be a black belt in some Martial arts or prepare to be hustled around.
That’s about all I can think for now. If I remember anything more, I will put the points in the comments area.